Thursday, December 28, 2017

What to do if you haven’t filed your tax return

Did you file your federal income tax return this year or in previous years? If not, let the IRS help you get back on track. You can find online tax tools, such as the Interactive Tax Assistant, Earned Income Tax Assistant, and View Your Tax Account, on

Not sure if you’re required to file a return? Find out using Do I Need to File a Tax Return or refer to Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals. You can download and view Publication 17 on most e-Readers and other mobile devices as an eBook from

It’s important to file an accurate return for several reasons:
  • Loan approvals may be delayed if you haven’t filed your return. For example, financial institutions and mortgage lenders may require income verification that includes copies of filed tax returns submitted when you buy or refinance a home, get a loan for a business, or apply for federal aid for higher education.
  • If you owe taxes and have not filed a timely return, you may be subject to the failure tofile penalty, unless you can show reasonable cause for failing to file timely.
  • If you did not pay your taxes in full by the due date of the return, you may also be subject to the failure to pay penalty, unless you have reasonable cause for your failure to pay timely, or the IRS has approved your Form 1127, Application for Extension of Time for Payment of Tax Due to Undue Hardship. Interest is charged on taxes and penalties not paid by the due date, even if you have an extension of time to file.
  • If you are required to file a return and you owe, you can apply for an online paymentagreement. Go to for additional information on payment options.
Regardless of your reason for not filing, you should file your federal tax return as soon as possible. Take advantage of all the available tools found on

No comments: